Saturday, October 3, 2009

Upper Newport Bay


In LA I'm staying on the peninsula, a strip of land between Newport Beach and Newport Bay. While this end of the Bay is wall to wall shops, bars and restaurants, the top of the Bay is relatively undeveloped. A coastal wetland with grasslands and sage scrub, the area is one of Orange County's birding hotspots, home to a number of endangered species, and staging post for thousands of migrants.

Trails wander along the water giving good views of the waders, and amble through cactus stands and massed wildflowers where birds forage for insects or feed on the nectar. I'm still trying to identify all of the species I photographed, let alone all that I saw so I'll amend the Bird List as I get IDs.


Bird List:

Coastal Cactus Wren (Pictured above)
Turkey Vulture
Willet
Dunlin
Marbled Godwit
Cassin's Kingbird
American Goldfinch
American Coot
Anna's Hummingbird
Double Crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Brown Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Black-bellied Plover
Ring-billed Gull
Forster's Tern
Belted Kingfisher
American Crow
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
European Starling
House Finch
Savannah Sparrow

No comments:

Post a Comment